Saturday, May 23, 2009

Returning from my hiatus...

Hello, all.

So, I'm back. My personal life pretty much imploded there for a little while, and I needed a little time to get my head together, but I think I'm ready to start blogging again. I'm sure you're all breathing a collective sigh of relief. Control yourselves.

So, as I said, things got a little hairy...There were some definite family issues happening, not the least of which included my mother being diagnosed with colon cancer, from which, after surgery, she is recovering nicely. My hubby and I area also adopting, as I've mentioned, and it is a journey not for the faint of heart. Every day I become a little more emotionally invested, and I am falling in love with these little people who I don't even know yet...I never thought I could love anything this much. Ever. And I haven't even seen them yet. However, the process is harrowing, and I suppose on some level, it is meant to make you grateful for these amazing little creatures, who we have the honor of raising into big creatures. I will say this, though. If the government were any slower, they'd be moving backward.

Our particular type of adoption is classified as "public domestic", meaning we are adopting children who are in the care of the provincial government currently (in foster care). The ages range from babies to 16 year olds. They are special kids, who need a lot of love. There are 22000 kids in care in Canada. 1500 will find permanency. I was presented with that statistic a mere 3 days ago, and keep rolling it over in my mind, hoping for it to sound better. It never gets better. That is simply too many children, not enough willing parents.

In other news, my yard is getting more gorgeous, day by day. Yesterday I finished perfecting my compost and adding a bit of starter to it, and we have planted some lovely fruit trees in the hopes of having a small orchard in our ordinary suburban yard. I am loving playing in the dirt more and more every day. It's so rewarding somehow.

Anyway, the things that are consuming me at the moment have a lot to do with my kids, so bear with me. I know what it's like to listen to expectant mothers talk about nothing but their children...I'm not medically pregnant, but I am emotionally pregnant. So, here is a little something to show that I understand:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

:D Welcome back.

Sage said...

Thanks, Love. :D