Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Honestly, who throws a shoe...er...or two?

Well, for starters, this guy does:

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/12/14/bush.iraq/?imw=Y&iref=mpstoryemail

Is it wrong that I'm having trouble caring? Is it even more wrong that I wish the man hadn't missed??

I guess I'm not exactly in favour of randomly throwing shoes at world leaders. But seriously, what if they really, really deserve it???

As much as it leaves a bad taste in my mouth to do so, I have to give Dubya props for handling this thing like a champ. Not only does he appear to have mastered the ol' "bob an' weave" (perhaps he's never been particularly well-liked?), but when the Secret Service appeared to want to usher Dubya away into a safe area, Ye Ol' President raised a hand and shook his head, in a sort of "I'm fine, don't be silly" way. He was also quoted as saying, "So what if the guy threw a shoe at me?" This tells me one of two things. Either, he was truly sympathetic that perhaps the citizens of Iraq had been put through enough at his hand, and maybe he deserved having a shoe or two catapulted at his head, or maybe he didn't want the last moments of his presidency to be marred the image of him being a big, weenie, 'fraidy-cat. Although, for some reason, my instinct tells me that it might just be the latter.

Apparently, from a cultural perspective, shoes, being the lowest thing to the ground, are considered dirty, and are the filthiest, most vile symbol of disgust that one could present. Whilst throwing said footwear, the journalist, Muntadhar al-Zeidi, was also quoted as saying, "This is your farewell kiss, you dog!", and "This is from the widows, the orphans and those who were killed in Iraq."

Hmm. Perhaps he was just saying what the rest of the world was thinking.

Thanks for nothin', Asshole. Don't let the door hit you in the ass. Or do. Either way.

1 comment:

Soha said...

I think I most definitely like the way you think!