Friday, October 10, 2008

Balance

I haven't been writing, I know...I bet you thought I forgot? Well, I never forget, but sometimes I find that I go through times when I really can't write another word. I'm not one who writes prolifically...I'm much more of a sporadic writer.

Anyhow, I was finally inspired to write something when sitting in a massive traffic jam on my way to my job today. I had a sort of "stream-of-conciousness" thought that lasted a while. I thought it best to get it down on "paper".

Balance is a funny thing. Like anything, what goes up must come down, and if there is something taken too far in one direction, it will soon begin to creep in the OPPOSITE direction.

I know it sounds like I'm speaking Kling-On right now, but allow me to provide some examples.

In my chosen profession, I am a health practitioner. I work with people to restore balance to their minds and bodies by way of diet (a word that I hate, but am forced to use at the moment for lack of a better one...), and sometimes supplements and lifestyle adjustments.

Much of what I do, I do using the concept of "constitutional typing". That is, I take into consideration all of the things that make them an individual. Blood type, Dosha (Ayurveda), Traditional Chinese Medicine, Body/Metabolic type and lifestyle are all things that are carefully considered for each individual I work with.

The principles of most of these systems work on the premise that the body is "Type X", for example. With this type, they possess inherant characteristics that ultimately are played out day by day, either through symptoms if over-aggravated, or through markers of good health when in balance.

Still follow? Cool.

For example, say "Type X" is aggravated by more of the same characteristics...let's say some of "Type X"'s characteristics include dryness (of the skin, hair, etc.), and coldness (low body temperature, low blood pressure), and we put "Type X" outside on a cold, windy day. Theoretically, this would aggravate "Type X"'s already cold and dry tendencies, making their symptoms more apparent. But perhaps, by putting them in front of a warm fire, with a warming glass of red wine or a cup of hot tea, their symptoms would be diminished.

Balance. I realize the simplicity of that comment, but it's merely to make a point. That too much of anything is unhealthy, and maybe everything, good or bad, should be counterbalanced to form a healthy situation.

Let's also take Feminism as an example. Feminism, at it's root, started for exactly the right reasons. Women were at a social disadvantage, and the disparity was evident in everything from the workplace to personal relationships to child-rearing. Domestic abuse was rampant, more often than not, unreported, and women were, generally speaking, not permitted to make unorthodox decisions regarding their own lives, such as the pursuit of a career, travel, or the choice to not get married and/or reproduce.

Things are different now. I won't say they're perfect. We still have a long way to go. I can see that some disparity still exists. It is my belief, however, that we, as in WOMEN, are aggravating and exacerbating the situation by becoming overly-vigilant with one another, and removing the element of choice from our "sisters".

I have another example. Surprised?

When I was 21, I began treatment for a long-term health issue. I insisted at the time that I wanted a female Ob-Gyn, believing with naivete and absolute abandon that surely she would be more compassionate than her male counterparts, and perhaps would be more understanding of my situation.

My first appointment began by her reviewing bloodwork requisitioned by my referring GP. She was dismissive, and appearing utterly bored, sarcastically chuckled and told me that I would never have children.

My first reaction was to cry. Listen, don't judge me, I was 21, and had received some pretty devastating news pretty early in adulthood. When I began to cry, she began to write me a prescription for an anti-depressant. I explained that I was just sad, and didn't need the pills. She scoffed, and began to explain to me that women don't need children to be fulfilled. She then embarked on a 15 minute diatribe about how women are "programmed", and how our personalities and thought patterns are just taught to us by the "patriarchy".

Not only was this NOT what I needed to hear at this moment, it was categorically untrue. I was not raised in a patriarchal household. My mother was very much in charge, and would have been absolutely supportive had I decided of my own volition that I didn't want children. I always knew that getting married and having a family were CHOICES, and that I would have a safe place to land, regardless of which direction my path took me.

Dr. T attempted to TAKE AWAY my choices. What she did, was, in my opinion, completely ANTI-feminist. To attempt to shame me for wanting something that she didn't want is no different from the times when families would shame women INTO having children. The end is different, the means the same.

We must watch how the pendulum swings, and follow our integrity, not the momentum.

3 comments:

Willow Goldentree said...

Absolutely brilliant.

Sage said...

Awww, thanks, Love. :P

I actually wasn't sure if it would be the least bit comprehensible.

Sage said...

Oh, yeah, and on top of everything, the implication in Dr. T's lecture was that I was too weak-willed to actually want these things for my own reasons. How mysoginist is that?! Anyhow, I meant to put that in the original post, but it slipped my mind, and unless absolutely necessary, I'm not a fan of editting after the fact, for fear of compromising the "process". :P